Those negative thoughts make you feel defeated, discouraged, and depressed – all those ‘d’ words!
In fact, the word “devil” comes from the Greek word “diavolos” which means ‘slanderer’ or ‘accuser’.
If you allow slander or accusation to rule your mind, then mental strongholds are built that drive you to destructive habits. That will eventually ruin your life.
To be victorious, you must be faithful in “casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5)”.
I have a special article by Rhonda Jones of thechristianmeditator.com to assist you with that. Rhonda shares some excellent advice on how to renew your mind to God’s word and defeat negative thinking habits for good.
How to Defeat Negative Thoughts with Christian Meditation
by Rhonda Jones
As Christians, we are in a battle every day of our lives. It is not a battle with our mates, kids, friends, or even our bosses. The greatest battle that faces every believer is the battle with his or her own mind. But what does it mean to battle with the mind?
Our minds or thoughts are usually contrary to God and the scriptures:
- Instead of focusing on faith we focus on fear
- Instead of focusing on abundance, we focus on lack
- Instead meditating on the word of God, we meditate on news, sitcoms, and negative thinking
These thoughts steal our peace and joy and interfere with living out God’s promises.
Here is what the Bible says about our minds:
- Romans 1:28: “Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.”
- Ephesians 4:23: “to be made new in the attitude of your minds.”
- 2 Corinthians 11:3: “But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.”
- Romans 12:2: “Do not conform any longer to the pattern (conditioning) of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Paul said it best in Romans 7:21 when he stated that he knows what to do, but has trouble doing it.
- “When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
You can see from these scriptures that believers truly have a mind problem.
Ephesians Chapter 6 tells us to cast down every fiery dart that exalts itself against the knowledge of God and bring every thought into the obedience of Christ. This is easier said than done because many of our thoughts are unconscious.
They just play like a broken record in the back of our heads over and over again and we live our lives according to what they are telling us. It’s kind of like living on autopilot.
So how does Christian meditation help believers bring healing to their minds? Christian meditation helps us to still our minds so that we can observe the subtle and subconscious thoughts that we’re thinking.
Spend a day recording every thought that comes to mind. Write it down. Then review your thoughts at the end of the day.
I had my daughter do this for a day and every thought she wrote down was negative and debilitating: “no one will ever hire me, I’m a failure, I’m ugly,” etc. It was no wonder she was having so many emotional problems at the time.
Do you know that we would never let another person talk to use like this, but too often we say horrible things about ourselves.
The good news is that once you know what is going on in your head you can do something about it. You can change your thoughts and change your life. You can replace negative thoughts with God’s word.
By getting still and quieting your mind and filling it with the truth of God’s word through Christ-center meditation you can uproot negative thinking and replace it with thoughts of peace, joy, and purpose.
Rhonda Jones is the author of a series of Christian meditation and relaxation CDs that encourages listeners to relax, spend more quality time with God, and learn to live more consciously and in the present.
I hope this article blessed you. Go ahead now and check out Rhonda’s Christian Meditation sample so you can see how it works. Just click the link below, scroll down the page and you can listen to the sample. See for yourself how relaxing and soothing it can be:
Be blessed in health, healing, and wholeness,
Creator of the ‘Take Back Your Temple’ program
P.S. Are you ready to grow stronger Spiritually and heal emotionally as you reach your ideal weight? Let the Take Back Your Temple program be your guide. It has a 60 day money-back guarantee. God’s way is change from the inside out and once you are changed His way, you are never the same!