I once read a shocking article in Prevention Magazine called “The Vanishing Youth Nutrient.”
The article outlines how the lack of Omega 3 fats in your diet can make you gain weight and may be behind some diseases like heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and cancer.
Omega 3 fats are also essential to keeping your brain healthy, especially as you age.
The author said that Omega 3 fats start out in the green leaves of plants, which is the part of the plant with the highest metabolism. The leaves must be active, because they are responsible for converting sunlight into sugars.
Fish also have a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids because they eat seaweed and other green plants in the ocean.
In contrast, our modern diets are filled with another type of fat – Omega 6 fats. Instead of active fats, Omega 6s are storage fats. While Omega 3 fats are light and fluid, Omega 6 fats are thick or hard.
Think about the difference between Olive Oil and Crisco (vegetable shortening).
Too many Omega 6 fats can cause excessive blood clotting and make your arteries stiff.
Many processed foods are loaded with Omega 6 fats because food processors discovered that these fats increase the shelf life of products like cakes, cookies, chips, cereals, breads, and spreads.
Obviously, increased shelf life means increased profits.
Good for them, bad for us!
In addition, cows are generally fed corn and soybeans (high in Omega 6 fats) to fatten them up for market, whereas in our grandparent’s day, cows ate green grass. So their meat contains more Omega 6 fats.
Now, don’t get me wrong – both Omega 6 fats and Omega 3 fats play a role in your body’s health. But because the two oils compete for space in your cell membranes, you want to eat more of the lighter, fluid Omega 3s.
How can you take advantage of the above knowledge to improve your health and get slimmer?
Eat more of these foods
- Fish, especially fatty fish like wild caught Salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel
- Free-range chicken and free range eggs (better Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio than commercially raised chickens)
- Grass-fed beef, Grass-fed cheese, and Grass-fed butter (better Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio than commercially raised chickens)
- Pinto Beans, Chili beans
- Foods prepared with flaxseed oil
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Leafy green vegetables (Spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli) and other vegetables (Squash, cauliflower, green beans)
- Low Sodium V8 and other mixed vegetable juices
- Fruit like oranges, mango, papaya
Eat less of these foods
- Fast food (loaded with Omega 6 fats)
- Corn or grain-fed beef, cheese and butter (most of grocery store beef is in this category)
- Corn or grain-fed chicken and eggs (most of grocery store chicken is in this category)
- Prepared foods made with commercially-produced butter, commercially-produced cheese, margarine, cottonseed, soy, safflower, or sunflower oil
- Foods with “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated oils” on the label
While you can supplement with fish oil or flax oil pills, their effect will be limited if your diet is loaded with processed foods.
So start eating the right fats and watch yourself get slimmer! And even better, pass this article on to your family, friends and others in your mailing list so they too can experience the joys of good health!
Check out this eye-opening video on the effects of Omega 3s
Be blessed in health, wealth, and wisdom,
Author of the ‘Take Back Your Temple’ program
P.S. Six years ago, I made up my mind to lose my excess weight for good. I praise God for waking me up to what I was doing to myself. I thought about what my life would be like today if I had not heeded the chest pain warning God sent to me then. I was in horrible shape and I would be even worse now if I continued down the same path.
Let me ask you a question – on the current path you’re taking with your eating and exercise habits, where will you be 6 years from now? Will you be better off or worse? If worse, then I beg you right now – turn around. Today is the easiest change will ever get for you. Tomorrow will be much harder.
Make a decision to join the Take Back Your Temple program today and see for yourself how small changes can make a big difference in how you look and feel. I promise – if you don’t think it is worth every penny, then I will cheerfully give you a refund, no questions asked.
Don’t you owe it to yourself to live your best life now? Take Back Back Your Temple can get you on the path to it!