Many people say they want more self-discipline in their lives. But most do not realize that self-discipline is more straightforward than they think!
Here are two common questions about more self-discipline:
What is self-discipline?
Discipline is following a path or planned direction each day. No direction, no self-discipline.
Why is more self-discipline important?
Self-discipline is important because it helps you make steady progress toward goal attainment. You establish a pathway of action steps leading to the goal and then take steps along that pathway each day consistently, knowing you will reach your goal in due season.
The 10 Keys to More Self-Discipline
Here is a list of ten keys to more self-discipline:
- Discipline is following a planned direction each day. No direction, no discipline. Your daily routine determines your direction, therefore plan/schedule wise actions into your daily routine.
- Success is not an accident, but failure often is. Many people’s approach to life is passive rather than active engagement. So they end up where they do not want to go!
- A disciple lives a disciplined life because we follow a planned direction; we follow Jesus! (“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).”
- Ask the Lord for a vision of the person He created you to be. Write down what you see.
- Ask: What actions is Holy Spirit leading me to take each day to start becoming that person? Get excited!
- Build wise actions into your routine (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.). The same energy you are using to resist activity could be directed to getting it done.
- Put those actions on your calendar to move from vision to reality. Your daily routine must match the person you envisioned. If your daily routine contradicts your vision, then it causes inner conflict and robs you of peace.
- Plan: When you don’t plan, you allow others, distractions, or your worst impulses to control your time.
- Manage time: Time is a blessing. However, your time on Earth is limited. Don’t let the enemy convince you that you have all the time in the world. You do not, so make the most of the time with which God has blessed you.
- Do not waste your time; invest it in becoming the person God created you to be for His glory and increased influence for His kingdom. Keep Psalm 90:12 in mind
Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”Psalm 90:12
Be Blessed with Health, Healing, and Wholeness,
Author of the Take Back Your Temple program
P.S. Do you struggle with overeating sugar? If so, you are not alone!
Overcoming sugar addiction was a key factor on my weight loss journey; I lost 85 pounds and dropped from a size 22 to an 8.
In our 14-day Sugar Detox Challenge online course (inside the Take Back Your Temple program), you’ll get the same success strategies and support to gain peace in your eating habits and achieve lasting weight loss.
“Prayer for Weight Loss”