Have you ever felt overwhelmed – like too much to do, but too little time?
I know the feeling. I felt that way recently.
After my husband Mike and I returned home from an errand, I was just tired. I intended to catch-up with some church projects but I didn’t.
Instead, I just procrastinated and surfed the Internet. Argh – it was like I reverted back to an old pattern that used to be part of my life under stress.
Thankfully, I did stay on track with my eating, so I didn’t go ALL the way back!
But when I woke up this morning, I felt like ”I came to myself,” similar to the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32.
Here’s a tip: When you come to yourself, KEEP yourself to prevent her from running off again!
Consider the following scripture when you feel overwhelmed:
From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”– Psalm 61:2
The Lord is able to provide wisdom and strength to get you through any challenge you face today, through the power of His Holy Spirit.
So to prevent a repeat of yesterday, He gave me this wisdom to implement:
- Did a brain dump and made a list of everything on my mind that ”I need to do.” By the time I finished the list, I had 27 things. No wonder I was feeling overwhelmed…trying to remember to do all that!
- Reviewed the list and marked the items I should prioritize to get done. Priority items are those in which there would be negative consequences if I didn’t get it done within a certain time-frame or those in which the best opportunity to get it done would be now (best time or resource available for efficiency)
- ”Calendarize” the priority items. I put all of those on my calendar to schedule them, starting today.
- Set the stage for success – gather the resources or go to the place where it would be easiest for me to work on the priority items without distraction.
- Set a timer and take action on the items, one step at a time – no multi-tasking.
Whoo-hoo! I got all the priority items done for today. I feel SO much better.
Having all of those items in my head yesterday felt like mental constipation.
It feels good to have eliminated some of them.
Ever felt overwhelmed? Run to the Rock that is Higher than you. Get His perspective on the matter and trust Him to see you through!