Do people develop habits of eating too much because eating is the only way they give their bodies a ‘voice’?
How intentional are you every day about doing pleasant things to engage all of your senses:
- Hearing (Sound)
I left ‘Taste’ off of the list because many of us don’t have a problem stimulating that one!
When many people feel tense or restless and don’t know what to do about it, they eat as a default.
But I believe that when you learn to engage your other senses daily, then food can resume a normal focus in your life. After all, you are giving your body other ways to express its voice!
Recently, I was intentional about engaging my five senses as I cut the lawn.
I enjoyed the smell of cut grass and pine needles, the feel of the sun on my skin, the occasional breeze on my face. I beheld the beauty of the blue sky and fluffy white clouds. The constant sound of the lawnmower buzz was soothing. By being more intentional about enjoying the sensory experience as it was happening, I added more “life” to my day.
So the next time you are tempted to eat when you aren’t hungry, think of it as your body’s desire to express its voice. You can relieve that tension by engaging one or more of your five senses.
Here are some things to do besides eating:
- Go to a park and enjoy natural wonders
- View a photo album
- Go people watching at a mall, park, or airport
- View historical houses in your city
- View Kaleidoscope videos on YouTube
- View nature videos on YouTube
- Get a coloring book and crayons and color in the pictures
- Draw or paint something colorful
- Do your laundry and sniff the clean clothes
- Sniff some essential oils or lotions
- Smell some aromatherapy bath salts
- Go outside and smell the air
- Wash your hair and enjoy the smell of the shampoo
- Listen to praise music
- Listen to oldies on the radio
- Listen to classical music
- Listen to silence
- Listen to white, pink, or brown noise (actually I like to listen to ocillating Brown noise while I work because it sounds like ocean waves)
- Spin around in an office chair
- Take a bath or soak your feet
- Use a foam roller or foot roller
- Sew, crochet, or knit
- Put together a puzzle
- Use a resistance band
- Rub something soft
- Rock on ball or in a chair
- Lotion your body
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure
- Swing at a park
1 Corinthians 6:20 says ” For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” Many Christians treat life as an “out of body” experience! However, I believe one way that you can glorify God is to praise Him through the abilities you have in your 5 senses.
God gave them to you. Enjoy all of them intentionally today! What are some ways you use your senses for enjoyment?
P.S. One of the most important things you’ll need to do to overcome eating issues is to renew your mind. That’s why one of the bonuses in the Take Back Your Temple eBook is “Prayers and Promises to Take Back Your temple”.
In this special bonus, you get over a dozen scriptures and prayers specifically related to God’s promises for health and strength so you can gain physical, emotional, and spiritual victory every day. Check it out!