Today is April Fool’s Day, so I thought it would be interesting to study what the Bible says about fools.
Being a fool is a question of identity; it begins with what a person thinks in his heart.
Proverbs 23:7 says, “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.”
Psalm 14:1 gives us a glimpse into a fool’s heart:
The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good.”
Because a fool tells himself that there is no God, then the fool believes he only has himself to rely upon.
But as human beings, our very nature limits us in our knowledge and experience; none of us knows everything and it is foolish to think otherwise!
Some of the smartest people in man’s eyes are counted as fools in God’s eyes.
If you are a Believer in God through Jesus Christ, then you are nobody’s fool!
After all, you have already made the most important decision anyone can ever make: to make Jesus Christ Lord of your life.
Even if you never make another right decision in your life, at least you got the most important thing right!
Proverbs 9:10 says:
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”
When you believe there is a God and you reverence, honor and respect Him, then you are counted among the wise.
And when you dedicate yourself daily to growing in the knowledge of God through His word, you will grow still wiser!
In contrast, let me give you a portrait of a fool as the scriptures define it:
- Psalm 14:1 – The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good.
- Psalm 74:18 – Remember this, that the enemy has reproached, O Lord, And that a foolish people has blasphemed Your name.
- Proverbs 1:22 – “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge.
- Proverbs 1:32 – For the turning away of the simple will slay them, And the complacency of fools will destroy them;
- Proverbs 3:35 – The wise shall inherit glory, But shame shall be the legacy of fools.
- Proverbs 9:13 – A foolish woman is clamorous; She is simple, and knows nothing.
- Proverbs 10:18 – Whoever hides hatred has lying lips, And whoever spreads slander is a fool.
- Proverbs 10:23 – To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom.
- Proverbs 12:16 – A fool’s wrath is known at once, But a prudent man covers shame.
- Proverbs 14:1 – The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her hands.
- Proverbs 14:3 – In the mouth of a fool is a rod of pride, But the lips of the wise will preserve them.
- Proverbs 14:16 – A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident.
- Proverbs 17:24 – Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding, But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth.
- Proverbs 18:2 – A fool has no delight in understanding, But in expressing his own heart.
- Proverbs 18:6 – A fool’s lips enter into contention, And his mouth calls for blows.
- Proverbs 26:11 – As a dog returns to his own vomit, So a fool repeats his folly.
- Proverbs 28:26 – He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered.
- Proverbs 29:11 – A fool vents all his feelings, But a wise man holds them back.
- Ecclesiastes 5:3 – For a dream comes through much activity, And a fool’s voice is known by his many words.
- Ecclesiastes 7:9 – Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, For anger rests in the bosom of fools.
- Jeremiah 4:22 – “For My people are foolish, They have not known Me. They are silly children, And they have no understanding. They are wise to do evil, But to do good they have no knowledge.”
The portrait of a fool is a cautionary tale. Even though I am nobody’s fool, at times I have behaved like a fool.
So these scriptures are a good reminder for me not to allow my behavior to stray into fool’s territory!
How about you?