- Would it change the way you live today?
- Would it change the way you treat people?
- Would it change the way you thought about things?
My husband Mike and I often find Spiritual lessons in movies, even secular ones.
We found a Spiritual truth in the action movie, “Edge of Tomorrow” with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt.
In the movie, Tom’s character was a soldier, but he was an office man, with no experience in combat.
Through circumstances, Tom ends up on the battlefield fighting aliens.
However because of his lack of experience, an alien kills him. But in the process, Tom gets splattered with the alien’s blood and develops the ability to reset time.
So every time he dies, he resurrects to repeat the same day.
The whole movie is about Tom and the female Sergeant training him using his ability to “Live. Die. Repeat” to their advantage.
Each day, Tom makes different choices to change the outcome of the day, with the goal of defeating the aliens for good.
Some choices bring him closer to the goal. But most choices result in an alien killing him again. Each time he dies, he gets to “do-over” that day.
With each new day, Tom learns from his mistakes and his victories.
In the process, he becomes a formidable soldier.
2 Timothy 2:3 says that we too are soldiers:
You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.”
If you are going through a hard time right now, here are 3 truths about soldiers that you must know to make it through victoriously:
- Soldiers give their lives in service to their country. We are called to give our lives in service to the Savior (see Mark 8:35). You don’t go through trials for nothing; you expect to receive a full reward from the Lord (see Hebrews 11:6).
- Soldiers are diligent daily about staying in shape because they never know when they might be called to war. We are called to get and stay in Spiritual shape because we are in a Spiritual war (Ephesians 6:10-18).
- Soldiers learn their enemy’s tactics and weaknesses so that they are prepared for them. We are called to recognize the enemy’s tactics and combat them with God’s word (1 Peter 5:10-11).
Now, back to my previous question: “What if you died every night when you closed your eyes to sleep?”
“What if each morning, you were resurrected to newness of life?”
That view is actually closer to the truth of this Earthly life!
In light of this, how would you live differently?
James 4:13-14 says:
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.”
What if you lived life on the edge of tomorrow – through maximizing each day? Think about it.
Be blessed with health, healing, and wholeness,
Creator of the Take Back Your Temple program
P.S. When it comes to weight loss, do you often know what you should do but have a hard time doing it?
I struggled with this issue on my own weight loss journey, but I discovered that “Nothing is different until you think differently.” – Pastor James MacDonald
The value of the Take Back Your Temple program is that you will learn how to think differently through using Biblical keys to overcome obstacles. You’ll discover how to win the Spiritual and mental battle that often causes us to become inconsistent and get off-track on our weight loss journey.
Join a community of like-minded Christians losing weight and keep it off.