The enemy can deceive these people into thinking they are all alone in their distress. They start to see themselves as helpless, victims of their circumstances.
For people in the world, this may be true. However, it is never true for those of us in Jesus Christ!
The Word of God tells us that we have a built-in Helper – the Holy Spirit. When you accepted Jesus as your Savior, the Holy Spirit came to live in you and to be with you:
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you (John 14:26).”
It’s important that we know the truth about feeling helpless because the enemy has used that feeling to keep many people in bondage.
Recently, I learned about a psychological condition called “learned helplessness.” When we feel helpless, the brain releases a chemical called ‘beta-endorphin.’ While God created this chemical as a natural pain killer and to create feelings of security, the enemy can twist this emotion.
In their thinking, a person with learned helplessness begins to associate feeling bad with feeling good! So in recreating disastrous situations in their lives or nurturing feelings of self-pity, they are seeking feelings of pleasure or safety subconsciously – the high that beta-endorphin gives!
That is not how the Lord wants His people to live. Thankfully, we can get the good feelings that beta-endorphin gives in healthier ways.
In John 10:10, Jesus says:
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
Whenever helpless feelings try to seduce you with their false comfort, you must affirm this truth every time they come calling:
I am not helpless because the Lord is with me.”
Here are 4 additional scriptures that you have the Lord’s help in whatever situation you are facing:
- “I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep (Psalm 121:1-4).”
- “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God (Psalm 42:11).”
- “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need (Hebrews 4:6).”
- Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).’”
If the enemy tries to convince you that you are without help and hope, do not believe his lies again. Remind yourself that you have the Lord on your side. If God be for you, then who can be against you?
Your daily choices also determine the level of freedom you experience in this area. You can have more freedom through:
- Solidifying your daily relationship with the Lord (prayer, praise, worship, spending quiet time in the Lord’s presence)
- Renewing your mind to the truth in God’s word
- Eating to support emotional stability and self-control (see the ‘Feel Good Meal Plan‘ in the Take Back Your Temple program)
- Adding at least 30 minutes or more of exercise in your daily routine, which increases the natural release of beta-endorphin in the body
- Doing things daily to build joy into your life in healthy ways
These things close the door to the enemy and will help you to experience abundant life in Christ! So resolve today to be diligent putting them into practice.
Now that you know you are not without help, you will able to declare with confidence in the day of trial:
“I am not helpless because the Lord is with me.”