I am always looking for articles about eating behaviors and came across one that discussed the rise in anorexia cases with women over 30. I have also heard that some women are even asking others for advice on how to become anorexic. If a woman asks that question, then I believe that she is already anorexic in spirit. And if you are anorexic in spirit, you tear yourself down rather than allow yourself to be built up.
Consider this: Do you often feel helpless, out of control of your life? Feel consumed by pain in your past or even present? Have feelings of self-hatred or worthlessness? Depressed because you lack a purpose for your future and don’t see things getting any better?
These things indicate poverty of the spirit.
To reverse that cycle three things are needed:
- Developing a personal relationship with God.
- Loving yourself and treating your body as the temple it was designed to be.
- Allowing God to work His love through you so that you can love others.
You can do this; all you need is a desire for a better life than the one you have. Recently, I had a vision of how I used to be when I struggled with obesity and food. I saw myself huddled in a dark corner and God bathed in light just behind me. I sensed He was calling me to Himself, yet voices were whispering to me that it was safer in the darkness. But God’s love was so strong that I felt compelled to follow Him.
I looked behind me and I saw beauty, gentleness, and strength. I trusted Him, took His hand in the spirit and haven’t been the same since. Every area of my life has improved. Did I stop having problems? No. Did I stop having hurts and disappointments? No. But I do have the knowledge that God will never leave me nor forsake me. I have the security of knowing that I am never alone. No matter what I go through, He will see me through.
My abundance of spirit gives me power, love, and a sound mind. And I was able to achieve a body size that is healthy for me.
So, how can you have these benefits for yourself?
- You can learn how to develop your own relationship with God.
- Once you’ve established a relationship with Him, He will show you who you are and whose you are. He loves you unconditionally. You don’t have to jump through hoops for approval because His love for you is already limitless.
I recommend that you memorize the scriptures below to remind yourself of how wonderful your body is:
- Psalm 139:14: “I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;Marvelous are your works and that my soul knows very well.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20: “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God and you are not your own? For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
In the bible, the temple was described as magnificent, glorious, great, and wonderful. I recommend that you start each morning by looking at your own body and affirming it using those words. Then eat foods that heal, energize, and nourish your body. A good place to start learning about these foods is The World’s Healthiest Foods.
I also recommend that you read the entirety of Psalm 139:1-18 as assurance of God’s perfect knowledge of you. You can find free bible downloads just by using the phrase free bible download or free bible downloads from any search engine.
3. As you begin to grow in knowledge of God, ask Him in prayer to teach you to love others as He loves you. In case you haven’t noticed, people aren’t always easy to love. They can wound you and let you down. While you don’t have to like everybody, you are called to love them. But if you are in some unhealthy relationships, you may need to love those people from a distance for self-preservation reasons. Allow God to guide you on that.
I’ve discussed how you can abandon becoming anorexic (or staying anorexic); the question is why would you want to? One of the promises God has for us is an abundant life. He doesn’t want us under the power of anything, but to be filled with His power. He promises that He will do exceeding, abundantly, above all that we could ask or think according to the power that works within us. With this power, you will be able to receive and fulfill your God-given purpose that was created for you before you were born.
Be assured with this promise:
- Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
And in the book of John, Jesus assures us throughout of God’s love for us and that when we accept Him, God makes His home with us. My prayer for you is that you create a home within yourself for God and receive the abundant life that He has available for you.